Once More Into the Breach

Finding Nonsense and Beating it Sensible

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia

I used to watch TV news and yell at the box. Now I jump up from the couch, sit at the computer and begin to type laughing maniacally saying "Wait until they read this." It's more fun than squashing tadpoles



Free Kareem


Subscribe to Once More Into the Breach

http://www.wikio.com

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day

Years ago something happened that caused me to see my mother in a different light. A friend called and asked if I would like to join him as he took his two children on a beach vacation. Every year he rented a house on the beach for the week in the summer he had his kids. I was also single at the time and though I was available I was not in a position to afford to share the rent of a house on the beach. He offered that there would be no obligation on my part other that that I cook the meals. I accepted.

At the beach house as I was preparing the first meal I asked him why his girlfriend had not come with them. She had been living with him for several months and he had not indicated that this arrangement had not changed so I was curious. "I left her home because she drives me nuts." Was his reply.

I asked why he did not end the relationship and send her away if that was the case. "I can't cook." was the reason given. I thought of my mother teaching me how to make pancakes when I was 8 years old, and how when I left home for school I covered my room and board by cooking for the guys in the house we lived in. I looked at my friend and thought what a hell he must be experiencing and what a gift my mother had given me. Because I was a man who could not just cook but cook anything and do it well, that I was free from the trap my friend was in. I could wait to marry a woman who's company I enjoyed because I was not dependent on finding one who could feed me ASAP.

Thanks Mom and Happy Mother's Day