Once More Into the Breach

Finding Nonsense and Beating it Sensible

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia

I used to watch TV news and yell at the box. Now I jump up from the couch, sit at the computer and begin to type laughing maniacally saying "Wait until they read this." It's more fun than squashing tadpoles



Free Kareem


Subscribe to Once More Into the Breach

http://www.wikio.com

Monday, January 01, 2007

Something New for the New Year

I don't make New Year's resolutions but this year it has just worked out that January 1 is the best day to start something new. As I mentioned in a previous post I turned fifty last September and started to seriously work toward becoming fit. One of the kids got me a book by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove titled The New Rules of Lifting. In it there are some 52 week workouts that address specific goals such as weight loss, gaining strength and growing big muscles. I chose one that is designed for the busy person. Not that I'm all that busy, it's just that when I go out to shoe horses I work real hard, so I wanted a workout that would accommodate the need to have a large reserve to draw from occasionally. The first day was a buster though.

Here is the entry into my log:

January 1, 2007

Weight 225

2x15 Front Squat 145#

Superset with 60 sec rest
2x15 lunge body weight
2x15 DB row 30#

2x20 Hindu Push up body weight

The next one is not scheduled until Friday thank heaven. It is similar but has Deadlifts as its basic lift. After three weeks I take a week off and the workout changes. If this "break in workout" doesn't sap me too much the remaining workouts could transform me into a self absorbed, anti social, mirror gazing weightlifting geek. Well maybe just an old guy that might not start doddering as soon as most normal bloggers.







.


Digg!



, ,

1 Comments:

|
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and yours! When our son was in basic training he informed us in a letter that he was working on a six pack. I had no idea what he meant and prayed he wasn't sneaking out for beer. My husband said that was impossible but he didn't know what to make of it either.

By graduation our son had lost 45 lbs. and we didn't recognize him. He thought it was pretty funny that we didn't know he was talking about his abs.

Here's to your 6-pack!

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home