Once More Into the Breach

Finding Nonsense and Beating it Sensible

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia

I used to watch TV news and yell at the box. Now I jump up from the couch, sit at the computer and begin to type laughing maniacally saying "Wait until they read this." It's more fun than squashing tadpoles



Free Kareem


Subscribe to Once More Into the Breach

http://www.wikio.com

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Men Don't Do That Do They?


My oldest daughter gave me a copy of the movie Billy Elliot. I had told her of the time when I was twelve that I told my father that I wanted to be a dancer when I grew up. She saw this and it reminded her of that story. After seeing it myself I was quite amused.

Billy Elliot is an eleven year old son of a Irish coal miner. He discovers that he likes dancing and surreptitiously joins a ballet class. Needless to say the father and older brother are shocked. SHOCKED!. They do every thing to put a stop to such nonsense. My father's reaction was some what similar.

I said, : Dad, I want to be a dancer when I grow up!"

"Oh no son, only queers are dancers."

"But look what I can do." I said as I shook my hips and dipped. He just put his head in his hand and lamented about his son being a fag. I tried to assure him that although I had no concrete proof, I was sure that I was not. I decided to drop the subject and keep my dancing to myself.

I was the only boy in sixth grade that danced at the school dance. I was the only boy in gym class that actually enjoyed square dancing. I got asked to the prom because the girl that asked me wanted to go with someone who danced. I loved the 80's. I was encouraged to become a male stripper but declined because I just could not envision explaining to my daughters why it was OK for Dad to make a living dancing in a G-string , but not for them to do it. Don't worry Dad, dancing is not the only thing I like to do. I like to cook, paint lead soldiers, grow herbs, sing and lift weights.

My sons in law were telling me of a comedian they heard recently who claimed all men come to the point of asking the question, "Am I gay?'. Some say "no" and move on. Some say "yes" and move on , while others say "well, I don't know....I better go lift weights."

When I was 19 I sat on the end of my bed and asked the question, "Am I gay and don't know it?" I had by that time of my life been approached by more than my share of homosexual men who wanted to be my "friend". And with the exception of the girl that asked me to the prom I was decidedly unsuccessful in the dating department. I figured perhaps these men knew something that I didn't.

I thought of being in the showers after gym class and of being with the few girlfriends I had had at that point. It didn't take but an instant to realize that I was in no way going to give up the women, so I left the matter as settled. So much so that I don't care if someone thinks what I'm doing is 'gay". Not that I'm some wussy metrosexual either. I am old school man. I open the door or give up my seat for women. I do the ugly jobs around the house and I choose to do the right thing even when it's inconvenient. I go to church and try to be an example to my family of the importance of honoring God in all one does. Both machismo and homosexuality are aberrations of manliness that come from self-centeredness. Godliness is the beginning of manliness.

Excuse me but Emril is on.






.


Digg!



, ,

1 Comments:

|
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No honey your not gay, your wonderful.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home