Once More Into the Breach

Finding Nonsense and Beating it Sensible

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia

I used to watch TV news and yell at the box. Now I jump up from the couch, sit at the computer and begin to type laughing maniacally saying "Wait until they read this." It's more fun than squashing tadpoles



Free Kareem


Subscribe to Once More Into the Breach

http://www.wikio.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Selah in Concert


Saturday my wife and I went to Front Royal, VA for a concert by the group Selah at the New Hope Bible Church. The church sat about 300 making the venue quite intimate. It made for a very enjoyable time and I liked the pastor being the MC. The concert was opened and closed with a prayer, something I miss at the big concerts.

There were no other performers which gave Selah plenty of opportunity to do as they wished. Their latest release is titled "Greatest Hymns". The group started as worship leaders for a local church and was encouraged to record and perform. Having a background in singing the old hymns it was natural to do this CD. Included on the CD and in the concert are some hymns in an African language. Two of the original members grew up as missionary children in Congo. For the first African song they brought on stage the Pastor and his wife and other people involved in getting the group there to perform and got them to sing also. The second African song had all the children in attendance on stage to sing along.

The two male singers each did a solo session where they talked about their life and the influence the old hymns have had on them. Although I really enjoy the new music produced in the contemporary Christian category I have a great love for the old hymns many of which are filled with scriptural truth. The members of Selah share the same sentiment and perform them in a powerful way.

I'm adding Selah to my list of must see groups which includes Mercyme, Third Day and Mark Schultz. A sample of Selah's music can be heard at their website.

Christian Carnival CV