Once More Into the Breach

Finding Nonsense and Beating it Sensible

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia

I used to watch TV news and yell at the box. Now I jump up from the couch, sit at the computer and begin to type laughing maniacally saying "Wait until they read this." It's more fun than squashing tadpoles



Free Kareem


Subscribe to Once More Into the Breach

http://www.wikio.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Golden Globe Awards, yawn


I belong to a gaming club that hosts tournaments and other related competitions. Awards and trophies are handed out with light hearted ceremony. Much like the people competing for the Golden Globe Awards we covet the honor and recognition of our peers. Unlike the Golden Globes we don't pretend to think anyone besides ourselves cares.

So what if a gay movie won the top honors. From the report I read nothing I've seen or wanted to see got nominated. Few if any of the movies or television shows I've enjoyed over the last couple of decades have been recognized for awards. The fact is I seldom look at network TV. A movie has to be quite spectacular and cover a subject I'm already interested in for me to fork out the big bucks at a theater. Just recently I canceled my HBO subscription because I wasn't looking at anything they were showing. So having been nominated or even winning an award will not influence my future viewing choices, yet they act as if I will be.

Entertainment awards have become fashion shows with trophies for politically correct entertainment. The truly staggering aspect is the mind numbing speeches that garner such enthusiastic applause. Hearing actors and directors talk about anything makes me understand why some people drink, it helps to make these folks seem interesting.

Give out all the awards, tell me how important your film is and preach through entertainment all you want Hollywood, I stopped caring a long time ago. I'll be looking at your products when you accidentally stumble on some story that interests me as you do from time to time.