Once More Into the Breach

Finding Nonsense and Beating it Sensible

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia

I used to watch TV news and yell at the box. Now I jump up from the couch, sit at the computer and begin to type laughing maniacally saying "Wait until they read this." It's more fun than squashing tadpoles



Free Kareem


Subscribe to Once More Into the Breach

http://www.wikio.com

Monday, February 27, 2006

Wincherster Model '94

Winchester Repeating Arms' New Haven Conn. manufacturing plant will close on March 31, 2006. Despite a community effort to find a buyer for the plant the prospects look bleak. The plant had been supported by tax credits and grants so it would remain in New haven, but labor costs and other concerns forced the issue. There is speculation that when the name Winchester is once again available in 2007 some company will pick it up and manufacture the Model 70 and Model 94 somewhere else.

In light of all this I took out the Model 94 that was given to me by my Father and took new pictures of it. It's chambered for .30-30 I added the '94 that I bought for my wife for Christmas '04 as a comparison.


The inlay work on my '94 was done by my Grandfather using piano keys. Note the saddle ring. This rifle was manufactured about 1927.

My wife's rifle is the Trapper model. It also has a saddle ring. Her's is chambered for .44 Mag



The Carnival of Cordite, 50th Edition

4 Comments:

|
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, Im back in town and officially Jelly. Your Grandfathers is gorgeous. Good for you!

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the trapper model considered a model 94? I thought only the 30-30 got that designation. I am considering buying another (I have a reasonably new 94 30-30 ) this time in the older chamber, it was originally .38, right? I want to get one before they are gone...

2:53 PM  
Blogger Xyba said...

The Trapper is designated:
Model 94AE

I don't think the .30-30 was nt the original chambering for the Model 94.

I know that many of the old ones were chambered in pistol calibers.

I saw some nice vintage 94's at the Gander Mt. in Fredericksburg.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

30-30 came along in '95. 44-40, 38-55, and 32-40 were the originals. 94 is basically the name of the action, regardless of the cartridge fitted to it.
By the way, the same Mr. Browning who designed a couple of other old guns was responsible for the Winc. 94 and 95.
Back to cleaning the guns...

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home