Once More Into the Breach

Finding Nonsense and Beating it Sensible

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia

I used to watch TV news and yell at the box. Now I jump up from the couch, sit at the computer and begin to type laughing maniacally saying "Wait until they read this." It's more fun than squashing tadpoles



Free Kareem


Subscribe to Once More Into the Breach

http://www.wikio.com

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Bryant Gumble’s Closing Monologue Not Funny

Read about this at NewsBusters this morning. Haven't heard much about it in the MSM, not surprised.

Does Bryant Gumbel on HBO's Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel. have an editor, proof reading staff, or has he hired Joel Stein to write his humor bits? In his closing monologue he uttered one of the more offensive bits of trash that has been passed as humor.

" Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention."


In Mr. Gumbel's mind it seems that the determinate for athletic greatness is the color of a person's skin. I wish I hadn't already canceled my HBO subscription so I could do it now, but it's no wonder I canceled it. I realized I hadn't looked at it for a long time, Bryant Gumbel's commentary is just an indication of why I left.

Jimmy the Greek and Rush Limbaugh were fired for much less offensive statements than this. Bryant Gumbel has said some nasty stuff in the past and they've kept him around so I don't expect HBO to get all weepy over this. I wonder if the press is holding the stop watch on his apology like they did for Dick Cheney.

At the site I linked for the transcript there is already a defense of Mr. Gumbel's comments that are just as stereotypical as Mr Gumbel's. He says

"I don't think he's saying any of this, and all of these misinterpretations seem to belie Gumbel's main point. As one commentator to this article pointed out, the issue here is about access to these sports, both in a societal and economic context."


Basically he's saying black people are all just too poor to do winter sports. It just drives me nuts to hear such condescension. People like this just view black people as a permanent lower class, they ignore the accomplishments of so many people to suit their bias. They think a black person can't get anywhere unless white people let them. And that's why they think black people will always vote Democrat.