Once More Into the Breach

Finding Nonsense and Beating it Sensible

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia

I used to watch TV news and yell at the box. Now I jump up from the couch, sit at the computer and begin to type laughing maniacally saying "Wait until they read this." It's more fun than squashing tadpoles



Free Kareem


Subscribe to Once More Into the Breach

http://www.wikio.com

Friday, December 30, 2005

Is It a Sport or Recreation


As I've gotten older my need for maintaining physical fitness has become more important. Interesting ways to workout help to maintain the enthusiasm that can so easily wan. Participating in sports has always been one way that I keep my interest in staying fit. I've found that some activities that are called sports are really just recreational activity. To distinguish between the two I've made some simple rules:

It is a recreational activity if:

  1. One can score 100 points and still lose.
  2. When one hits or throws a ball, no one hits or throws it back.
  3. One can bring beer onto the field of play.

The following meet these criteria:

Basketball Rule 1. Yah I know I'll never score 100 points but what's interesting about running back and forth seeing who can score the fastest before the clock runs out?

Bowling Rules 1&2. I played in a league once and really out of shape people wiped me every time.

Darts Rules 1,2 &3. Fun, but not sport.

Fishing Rule 3. Need I say more?

Golf Rule 1, 2 & 3. How could I stay interested in chasing a ball just so I can hit it again?

Not that some one can't get some physical benefit from these, I'm just not able to keep interested enough to stay with the program.

Open Tracks at Bloggin Outloud
Jo' Cafe